AUTOMATIC FALL DETECTION
WHAT IS AUTOMATIC FALL DETECTION?
Automatic fall detection, or Automated Fall Detection, is technology built into the pendant and is generally worn around the neck, on wristband or a belt clip.
The smart technology uses sensors (multiple accelerometers and processors) that can detect between normal activity, and an actual fall. By continuously measuring the speed of movements in all directions, the fall detector can compare what it senses to what it considers an actual fall. If it senses a fall, it also looks for an angle change (like falling forwards or backwards) and an impact. If it senses these 3 things, then an automatic fall detection activation of the pendant will take place and alert emergency contacts that a fall has taken place.
What are the benefits of AUTOMATIC FALL DETECTION?
Its great for runners, cyclist and motor cycle riders. If they were to fall or crash and be without help, the fall detection technology within the device could help you receive life-saving help in situations where if you were alone, there would be none.
Getting help fast in these situations could be life-saving.
If your loved one sustains an injury or becomes unconscious from a fall and they are alone, their chance of getting help fast is increased significantly by automatic fall detection technology.
who needs an alarm with FALL DETECTION?
- Do they ride a bike?
- Do they run alone?
- Do they try adventure sports alone?
- Have you or a loved one had falling episodes in the past, or are concerned about falls in the future?
- Do they live alone?
- Do they experience dizziness?
- Are there trip hazards like steps, rugs, uneven floors, or rooms that have different floor type that have slightly different levels?
- Do they have to have stairs they go up or down regularly?
- Is there a step into the shower or potential for slipping out of the bathtub?
- Do your aging parents think they can still do just about anything on their own, and you have worries every time you see them doing it?
- Do they have a medical condition such as diabetes that is prone to fainting spells?
- Have they broken a hip in the past and need care not to fall again?
These are just some of the circumstances where a pendant alarm with fall detection would be useful.
WHAT FEATURES SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN AN AUTOMATIC FALL DETECTION MEDICAL ALERT SYSTEM?
- The alarm has Automatic Serious Fall Detection. If the user is unable to push your button for help, the automatic fall detection technology will do it for them.
- The device is waterproof. Falls can occur in the bath or shower, so this is an important feature.
- The alarm is reliable. There are literally thousands of these devices being used in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada & Europe
- The alarm pendant is small and easy to use.
- Can you still simply press the SOS button if you need help.
- False alarms can stopped before full activation. An audio response alerts the user that the Fall activation has occurred and if not stopped, the automatic sequence will go into emergency SOS.
- The Fall detection has adjustable sensitivity settings
Using the FALL DETECTION
It’s important to understand that it may take several seconds for the system to decide whether it has detected an actual fall, but this helps limit false alarms.
When a fall has been detected, it will announce, “Fall has been Detected. Press the SOS to stop” If the user actually needs help and does not cancel the alarm, the unit will then say, Calling Contact #1. Once the system connects to the caregiver they are able to speak to each other and assess the need for help. You can even include 000 on your call list.
how to be worn for fall detection
Please be aware, the alarm is for serious falls only and does not sense low impact or slow falls. It is used for detecting serious falls where someone can be incapacitated or knocked out. If the user has a low impact or slow fall like slowly sliding down stairs, the device may not trigger, however the user is more likely to still be conscious and able to press the SOS manually.
- For the best sensitivity, It’s recommended to wear the button on the outside of your clothes. Wear it on a lanyard around the neck. The fall detection will do a more improved and accurate job if it’s not padded by clothing and can sense a sudden drop in height.